Celebrate the Year of the Garden Bean!
Jonathan Bardzik, culinary storyteller, entertainer, and horticulture industry veteran, presents delicious, easy-to-make recipes featuring AAS Winning vegetables like this garden bean recipe with Mascotte Garden Beans with Tomatoes and Peppers!
Mascotte Beans with Tomatoes and Peppers
- 1 pound Mascotte green beans
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Hungarian Wax pepper such as Hot Sunset
- 2 medium Celebrity tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- Blanch beans in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Remove to a bowl ﬁlled with half ice and half water. Cool, then dry and reserve.
- Warm 1 tbs olive oil in a 10” skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for thirty seconds. Add minced pepper and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to thicken.
- Season to taste with vinegar, a pinch of cayenne, Spanish paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Serve cold, crisp beans topped with warm tomato sauce and sprinkled with cilantro.
You know that you have the best when you grow AAS Winners.
After over eighty years of conducting trials where only the best performers are declared AAS Winners, the organization now has more than 350 individual vegetable varieties that have been “Tested Nationally & Proven Locally.”